Jake (cutpaste from IMDB)

« Older   Newer »
zorrorosso
view post Posted on 8/6/2015, 14:17

Ciao, spiegazione breve di questo post:
da ragazzina, frequentavo spessissimo siti come Bluesbrothersofficial.com e "the first church of Dan Aykroyd" (? non ricordo com'era scritto) era un "geocities" l'indirizzo corretto è segnato anche su alcune foto postate qui nel forum, ma il sito è stato prima formattato in un modo un po' strano e poi cancellato tipo 11anni fa e con lui tutto quello che conteneva.
Onestamente ai tempi facevo le traduzioni a mano col dizionario commerciale, quindi non ho veramente idea di quello che traducevo, di solito lo copioincollavo su notes o un file word e lo stampavo. Tra i testi scaricati in questo modo, ce n'era uno che spiegava dettagliatamente la morte di Jake. Pensavo fosse un draft o che fosse stato rilasciato ufficialmente, ma è una cosa che continua a venire fuori nelle varie domande su BB2K e non viene spiegato direttamente dal film.

Non vorrei che fosse parte di quel draft scritto dal "pazzo scatenato" che andava in giro dicendo che in realtà era lui che ha scritto BB2k ed il duo di "cattivoni" Aykroyd/Landis glie lo ha strappato dalle mani... Comunque tutto può essere, questa storia mi è rimasta davvero impressa!

Ho cercato la cosa anche su bcentral, ma neppure lì il testo in questione era menzionato con chiarezza, quindi non so, tra qualche settimana avrò occasione di scartabellare in mezzo ad alcuni scatoloni di vecchi appunti degli anni '90... spero che ci sia ancora la copia stampata da qualche parte!

Comunque tipo 6 settimane fa, ho risposto su IMDB con questo topic a riguardo.

---------------------------------------------

I followed several threads about it and I have to get this thought off my chest now!
I read a draft about it very long ago (almost 15 years): I wasn't that good with forums, websites nor English back then, so I remember printing stories without knowing where they came from. It may as well be fan fiction or some dvd-extra, for what I remember.

Jake dies of pneumonia(?)

Right before Jake is out of prison, he received a letter(?) from Elwood that tells is gonna get out of jail a precise date, not too long from his own, but something happens that day and he is kept in jail for another while (a long time). He doesn't have mail or phone or Jake a real address, so there's no way for them to tell each other what's going on.
Not knowing where to go or what to do, Jake waits for him in hope he is going to show up soon, but time passes and he doesn't.
Jake waiting for his brother becomes a well known fact (or a joke) among the guards.
They have fun of him every day (and) or he greets them every single day in the same way telling one thing (or the same thing, something like "I'm Jake and I wait for Elwood, my little brother" it could be something shorter), but one day he gets sick by waiting outside overnight under the bad weather.
---I remember an heart-breaking part where he holds the letter and read the due-date over and over 😢-
Jake keeps showing up and doesn't take care of the sickness (pneumonia?) until one day he's too sick and doesn't show. (And that's how Frank Oz's character remembers of Jake so well)

As soon as the guard looks again, he finds Elwood standing in the same position instead of Jake realizing first that it's another person and that Jake was telling the truth all along. That's how the warden knows everything: Jake was always there waiting for his brother.
This story would have happened just days before Elwood gets out of prison and he just misses the funeral by a day or so (or the funeral is the same morning he gets out?).
(This would be the reason nobody tells Elwood: nobody knows as it's just happened.)
According to this draft, Matara would have mentioned the funeral of Jake to Elwood in the car(?) as she or Willy(?) (or both?) were at Jake's funeral the day before and started discussing about him and Jake and the fact that Elwood supposed to be out any day by then.
And that's why Matara, out of pity for his sad story, accepts the request of Willy and passes every other day by the prison to check if Elwood is out, to find him at her first attempt(?).

----STILL, I'm not fully sure about it!

I found other threads mentioning the pneumonia, but nothing more, nor the other details. Pretty sure I din't invented it, because it is way too evil.

It answers many questions and gives the character of Jake a longer life than his real counterpart, but still doesn't add up!
It would have been so hard to see a funeral scene while Elwood is waiting outside the jail! (Or even knowing it in the movie).
Why only Willie (and eventually Matara, that just hears the story from Willie) were at Jake's funeral?
And why did Jake would just wait for Elwood months without working or doing anything else in life? I mean, if he couldn't hold the Band, why he couldn't do like Elwood and getting a day-job? Was he really that helpless? Maybe Jake was working for Willie as Elwood does in this movie?
Plus, would Elwood feel extra guilty after knowing this story?

The beginning of BB2k is sad enough as it is and I'm glad that this part of the draft has been cut out and left unexplained in the movie (if it's real).

If it wasn't because I remember this story, I would guess like many others that Jake was transferred at first and then just died in prison later.

------------------------------------------------

Tra le altre cose, la storia metteva in risalto il ruolo di Matara, che in BB2k rimane un po' incerto e sembra spuntare dal nulla, spiegando come si ricordasse bene di Jake ed Elwood e di dovere loro un favore. Quindi non è solo per pietà che accetta l'offerta di Willie, ma anche per ricambiare qualche cosa che loro hanno fatto in passato...
Allora: riferendosi alla novella, due ragazze sono nell'appartamento di Willie quando i Blues Brothers lo vanno a "trovare", potrebbe essere una di loro? Oppure è una delle ragazze che Elwood convince nell'esclusiva "missione di sabotaggio" alla fine della novella? Se così fosse, perché Matara "deve" qualche cosa ai Blues Brothers/Elwood in particolare? Non sarebbe il contrario?

A questo punto si accettano tutte le ipotesi :D

0 replies since 8/6/2015, 14:17   48 views